Purcell registers hat trick to help Lightning pummel CoyotesFeb 24, 2011 - 6:09 AM
Lecavalier had a goal and assisted on four others for the Lightning, who had dropped their last three and scored just seven times in that span. Martin St. Louis scored twice and added an assist in the lopsided win.
Tampa Bay netted five first-period goals to give plenty of cushion to goaltender Dwayne Roloson, who made 25 saves for the victory.
Phoenix had won eight in a row, but that streak was snapped after Jason LaBarbera allowed every Lightning goal on 39 shots. LaBarbera started for the first time since January 10.
"Sometimes a game like this slaps you in the face, gets you back to reality a little bit," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "You just have to recognize there's some challenges ahead."
Shane Doan, who became the Coyotes' all-time leader in games played by skating in his 1,099th career contest with the franchise, had an assist.
Tampa Bay completely dominated the first period, out-shooting the Coyotes by a 19-6 margin and taking advantage of its power-play chances.
Purcell scored the Lightning's first goal 1:59 into the game, after Tampa Bay had pushed hard into the Phoenix zone. Shortly after the Lightning set up their attack, Purcell obtained the puck along the right boards and blasted it by two Coyotes defensemen, who acted as a partial screen on LaBarbera.
St. Louis lit the lamp at 3:01, and Tampa Bay followed with three consecutive power-play scores.
St. Louis struck again at 7:54, when he shoved in the rebound of a Lecavalier shot. Then, with 5:05 remaining in the period, Steven Stamkos was in perfect position to receive a long rebound to the left of the crease, and fired it by LaBarbera.
Lecavalier tallied Tampa Bay's final goal of the period during a 5-on-3. He one-timed a St. Louis feed by an unscreened LaBarbera from the right circle, making it a 5-0 game with 2:06 left.
Purcell got his second score on a one-timer in the slot at 2:43, after Lecavalier fired a quick, short pass from the goal line. Lecavalier's cross- ice feed enabled Purcell to complete his hat trick at 8:17.
"He's a dominant player for us," St. Louis said of Lecavalier. "He's been our best player the last couple weeks, I think, and it showed tonight."
Martin Hanzal got the Coyotes on the board a few minutes later, but the deficit was too much for them to overcome.
Adam Hall got Tampa Bay's final tally 4:52 into the third, while Kyle Turris and David Schlemko scored for Phoenix later in the period.
Tampa Bay matched its season high in goals. The Lightning also scored eight times on November 18 against Philadelphia...Doan had been tied with Teppo Numminen, who skated in 1,098 games for the Winnipeg/Phoenix franchise from 1988-2003...The Lightning swept the two-game season series.
- PHOENIX: 3
TAMPA BAY: 8
Feb 23 10:11 PM
- Phoenix Goal - David Schlemko, from Lauri Korpikoski and Eric Belanger at 10:44.
Coyotes 3, Lightning 8 3rd - 9:16Feb 23 9:54 PM
- Andrew Ebbett backhand shot on Dwayne Roloson.
Coyotes 2, Lightning 8 3rd - 10:26Feb 23 9:52 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Adam Hall (7), at 4:52.
Coyotes 1, Lightning 8 3rd - 15:08Feb 23 9:41 PM
- PHOENIX: 1
TAMPA BAY: 7
End of 2nd
Feb 23 9:18 PM
- Steve Downie wrist shot on Jason LaBarbera.
Coyotes 1, Lightning 7 2nd - 7:37Feb 23 9:05 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (15), at 8:17.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 7 2nd - 11:43Feb 23 8:54 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (14), from Vincent Lecavalier and Randy Jones at 2:43.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 6 2nd - 17:17Feb 23 8:45 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
TAMPA BAY: 5
End of 1st
Feb 23 8:23 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (14), at 17:54.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 5 1st - 2:06Feb 23 8:20 PM
- Vincent Lecavalier slap shot on Jason LaBarbera.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 4 1st - 5:07Feb 23 8:13 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Martin St. Louis (22), from Vincent Lecavalier and Marc-Andre Bergeron at 7:54.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 3 1st - 12:06Feb 23 7:58 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (21), at 3:01.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 2 1st - 16:59Feb 23 7:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (13), at 1:59.
Coyotes 0, Lightning 1 1st - 18:01Feb 23 7:44 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 23 7:41 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17