Hamhuis' OT winner lifts Canucks past CoyotesMar 9, 2011 - 7:21 AM
Hamhuis recorded the first two-goal game of his career and Henrik Sedin scored a goal and assisted on two others for the Canucks, who have won three in a row and four out of their last five.
"It doesn't happen too often for me but I'm happy for the team," said Hamhuis. "This was a well-fought game and to win in a comeback is great."
Sami Salo netted a goal while Daniel Sedin added three helpers for the visitors, who have won four of the last six meetings between the teams.
Roberto Luongo stopped 31 shots to earn the win.
Eric Belanger recorded a goal and two assists while Shane Doan and Lauri Korpikoski also tallied for the Coyotes, who have lost six out of seven.
Ilya Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 39 shots to suffer the defeat.
"We had a great effort out there tonight," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "There were a few key mistakes here, but there was no lack of effort out there."
Vancouver had a chance to win on a rare overtime penalty shot just 36 seconds in but Alex Burrows was denied by Bryzgalov.
The Sedin twins spun their magic and showed their innate feel for the game and each other on the decisive goal.
After passing amongst themselves and working the puck to the left half-wall, Daniel sent the disc behind the net to Henrik, who made a backhand pass to the bottom of the left circle from where Hamhuis beat Bryzgalov through the five- hole.
Phoenix needed only 3 1/2 minutes to get on the board on Belanger's unassisted wrister from the bottom of the right circle.
Doan's slapshot from above the left circle on a feed from Belanger at 10:55 of the opening period made it 2-0 before Vancouver answered 17 seconds later on a Hamhuis wrister from almost the exact same spot as the game-winner.
Henrik Sedin tucked home a rebound from the left doorstep to tie the game 9:14 into the middle session and three minutes later fed from behind the net to the right circle from where Salo lasered a shot past Bryzgalov top shelf far side to give the visitors their first lead.
Belanger picked up the puck in the neutral zone and skated into the Canucks zone and to the middle of the ice from where he flipped a saucer pass to Korpikoski, who chipped it past Luongo to even the score seven minutes later.
Hamhuis has 38 career goals, 10 of which have been game-winners...Henrik Sedin has 33 points in 39 games versus Phoenix...Luongo improved to 10-8-1 in his career against the Coyotes...The Canucks are 27-0-2 when scoring four goals or more...Bryzgalov is 7-8-1 against Vancouver in 16 career meetings...Phoenix is 2-7 in overtime this season.
- VANCOUVER: 4
Final - OT
Mar 8 11:34 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of Regulation
Mar 8 11:28 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 8 10:41 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Lauri Korpikoski, at 19:17.
Canucks 3, Coyotes 3 2nd - 0:43Mar 8 10:39 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Sami Salo (2), from Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin at 12:16.
Canucks 3, Coyotes 2 2nd - 7:44Mar 8 10:26 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Henrik Sedin (16), at 9:14.
Canucks 2, Coyotes 2 2nd - 10:46Mar 8 10:21 PM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 1st
Mar 8 9:46 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Mikael Samuelsson (19), from Dan Hamhuis at 11:12.
Canucks 1, Coyotes 2 1st - 8:48Mar 8 9:27 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Shane Doan (15), at 10:55.
Canucks 0, Coyotes 2 1st - 9:05Mar 8 9:26 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Eric Belanger (10), at 3:27.
Canucks 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 16:33Mar 8 9:13 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 8 9:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Arizona Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney Apr 11