Sharks beat Coyotes, keep up with competitive WestMar 27, 2011 - 7:29 AM
Ryane Clowe had a goal and two assists for the Sharks, who extended their lead in the division to four points over Phoenix. San Jose also joined Detroit in a third-place tie in the Western Conference with 97 points.
Joe Pavelski also lit the lamp for San Jose, which got 26 saves from Antti Niemi. The Sharks have won five of their past six games.
"To get 30 goals is definitely something I never thought was possible but it's been a great year," Couture said. "There are nights when the puck's going to find you and I had a chance for three or four tonight. After that first goal, I knew it was going to be a good night."
Mikkel Boedker scored the lone goal for the Coyotes, who sit fourth in the West. Ilya Bryzgalov made 28 saves in defeat.
San Jose went ahead for good at the 3:35 mark of the middle stanza. Pavelski slid a pass to Joe Thornton, whose shot was stopped by Bryzgalov. Pavelski chipped in a bouncing rebound for a 2-1 lead.
Clowe's wrister from the slot with 4:43 left made it a 3-1 game, then Couture's shot from the point at the 12:13 mark of the third accounted for the final margin.
The Sharks drew first blood at the 5:06 mark of the first period. Clowe's shot from the right circle set up a rebound in front. Couture found the loose puck and jammed it past Bryzgalov.
Boedker tied the game just over a minute later. A left faceoff win led to Derek Morris' shot from the right point and Boedker put home the rebound.
"We weren't good enough in any area," Coyotes captain Shane Doan said. "They kind of controlled play and we have to be better."
San Jose has won eight in a row against Phoenix, including four meetings this season. The clubs will both close out their regular-season schedules with a home-and-home series on April 8-9.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Mar 26 11:26 PM
- San Jose Goal at 12:13.
Sharks 4, Coyotes 1 3rd - 7:47Mar 26 11:12 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 26 10:33 PM
- San Jose Goal - Ryane Clowe (24), at 15:17.
Sharks 3, Coyotes 1 2nd - 4:43Mar 26 10:24 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (18), from Joe Thornton and Jamal Mayers at 3:35.
Sharks 2, Coyotes 1 2nd - 16:25Mar 26 10:04 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Mar 26 9:43 PM
- Logan Couture shot blocked by Keith Yandle.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 11:53Mar 26 9:23 PM
- Radim Vrbata wrist shot is wide.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 14:32Mar 26 9:23 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker (4), from Derek Morris and Kyle Turris at 6:23.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 13:37Mar 26 9:21 PM
- Brett MacLean shot blocked by Dan Boyle.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 14:03Mar 26 9:19 PM
- Kyle Wellwood wrist shot is wide.
Sharks 0, Coyotes 0 1st - 16:47Mar 26 9:18 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture (29), from Ryane Clowe and Dany Heatley at 5:06.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 14:54Mar 26 9:18 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 26 9:10 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19