Dallas tops New England to extend unbeaten streakJun 5, 2011 - 3:44 AM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - FC Dallas turned up the heat on the New England Revolution on Saturday to extend its unbeaten streak to nine matches.
Marvin Chavez scored in the 69th minute, and FC Dallas edged New England, 1-0, in Major League Soccer on a 97-degree evening at Pizza Hut Park.
Dallas (7-3-4) won for the sixth time during its undefeated streak, which goes back to a 3-2 loss at the expansion Portland Timbers on April 17. New England (3-6-4) lost for the fourth time in its last six games.
Schellas Hyndman's club had a bit of a hangover from last year's MLS Cup final defeat to the Colorado Rapids, but just like last season when Dallas overcame a poor start, the club has turned things around quickly.
Last season started with a five-match winless streak, before Dallas settled in and went on a 19-game unbeaten streak from late May to mid-October. Dallas had just one win from its first five games this season.
But even with 2010 MVP David Ferreira lost to injury early this season, Dallas has found the right mix again and has surged up to second place in the Western Conference.
Chavez, who leads Dallas with four assists, was dangerous all night and tested New England goalie Matt Reis in the first half, only to be denied from deep in the area.
Brek Shea wasted a chance late in the first half to put Dallas in front, as he drove a shot from the right edge of the six-yard box wide of the far post with Reis at his mercy.
Chavez secured all the points midway through the second as he rounded defender A.J. Soares on the right side of the box, then beat Reis near post from a very tight angle to notch his first goal of the season.
While Reis was busy making seven saves, Dallas goalie Kevin Hartman made just two saves for his seventh shutout of the season, which leads MLS.
New England will try to rebound Friday at Red Bull New York, while Dallas will try to stretch its unbeaten run to 10 games on June 12 when it hosts Sporting Kansas City.
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
FC DALLAS: 1
Jun 4 10:28 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Chavez (1) 69th minute
Revolution 0, FC Dallas 1 2nd - 70'Jun 4 10:06 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
FC DALLAS: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 4 8:38 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13