Jones and Sun snap two-game skidJun 20, 2009 - 1:58 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn.(AP) -- Asjha Jones scored 17 points and had nine rebounds Friday and the Connecticut Sun snapped a two-game losing streak with a 91-61 win over the Chicago Sky.
The win was Connecticut's first at home this season and ended Chicago's three-game winning streak.
Tan White, who signed as a free agent with the Sun earlier in the day, had 13 points and Kerri Gardin had 12 points, 11 rebounds and seven of Connecticut's franchise-record 30 assists.
"This is the team I recognize. Finally," Connecticut coach Mike Thibault said.
The Sun had lost their first two home games, missing a total of 89 and shooting 32 percent. They shot 48 percent on Friday.
"This was the best of all worlds," Thibault said. "We scored. We rebounded. We needed a game like that."
The Sun (2-3) never trailed. Chicago (3-2) didn't get closer than 10 points in the second half.
Kristi Toliver led the Sky with 14 points and Shyra Ely had 11. Sylvia Fowles had four points and nine rebounds. Jia Perkins, who scored 25 points against the Sun earlier this week, was held to nine points.
"Our players were pretty geeked up to play her," Thibault said, "and not let her get rolling."
The Sky used a 9-0 run to get within eight points late in the second period, but Connecticut scored the last three points of the period to lead 46-35 at halftime.
"Our defense, from the start, was poor at best," Sky coach Steven Key said. "We were guessing a lot as to what we wanted to do and they took advantage."
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
CHICAGO 15 20 9 17 61
CONNECTICUT 23 23 21 24 91 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: CHI - KRISTI TOLIVER 14
CON - ASJHA JONES 17
Jun 19 8:52 PM
END 1ST QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
CHICAGO 15 15
CONNECTICUT 23 23 END 1ST QTR
WNBA CHICAGO AT CONNECTICUT
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 1ST QUARTER
CHI - JIA PERKINS 4
CON - KERRI GARDIN 6
Jun 19 7:28 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Delle Donne unanimous choice for WNBA first team Oct 8
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Fever beat Sky 100-89, advance to Eastern Conference finals Sep 21