Young leads Silver Stars to 79-66 win over SunJul 7, 2010 - 3:07 AM Connecticut Sun on Tuesday night.
The Silver Stars wasted an early 11-point lead but outscored Connecticut 31-18 over the final 14 minutes for their first victory over a winning team this season.
"Everybody was knocking down some shots, whether they be outside or inside," said Young. "We were penetrating and kicking a lot more, and we made enough shots from the outside to open up the inside a little bit."
Michelle Snow scored 14 points, Becky Hammon had 12 and Chamique Holdsclaw added 11 for San Antonio (6-9), which came in with an 0-4 mark against Eastern Conference opponents.
"I don't think that we can think about it like that," said reserve guard Roneeka Hodges, who had 10 points. "I think we have to think about it like, `We need wins.' Tonight, we had a sense of urgency. We don't want to be in a crunch at the end of the season trying to make the playoffs."
In the West, where only 16-2 Seattle has a winning record, the Silver Stars are in second place. They would be in last place in the East.
Tan White scored 17 points and Tina Charles had 16 points and 13 rebounds for Connecticut (10-7), which lost for the first time in seven games against the West and fell to 2-2 on its current six-game road trip.
"Overall, I think we had some good looks and some good shots at the basket, but we just weren't able to knock them down," said White.
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Liberty shot-blocker Stokes contender for rookie of year Sep 18