Fever breaks Sky to win season openerJun 5, 2011 - 1:23 AM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Katie Douglas led the way with 19 points and seven rebounds as the Indiana Fever got the best of the Chicago Sky, 65-57, in the season opener.
Tangela Smith poured in 16 points for the Fever, who were knocked out by New York in the first round of last year's playoffs and lost to Phoenix in the 2009 WNBA finals.
Four-time defensive player of the year Tamika Catchings notched 15 points and nine boards in the win.
Epiphanny Prince tallied a game-best 20 points for the Sky, who have dropped six straight games to Indiana, including a five-game sweep last year. Chicago has never made a playoff appearance since joining the league in 2006.
Last season's All-Star Game MVP Sylvia Fowles added 10 rebounds and seven caroms while Chicago's third overall 2011 draft pick Courtney Vandersloot chipped in seven points and seven assists.
Prince's three-pointer with just under four minutes to play in the game made it a 57-54 game. Douglas, though, responded with a three-pointer during the next trip and the Sky were never able to get over the hump.
- CHICAGO: 57
Jun 4 9:00 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 4 7:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2