Mercury pull away from SkyJul 2, 2011 - 4:45 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Diana Taurasi posted 24 points and six assists to lead the Phoenix Mercury over the Chicago Sky, 97-84, at US Airways Center.
Kara Braxton added 15 points and Penny Taylor 14 for the Mercury, who rebounded from Tuesday's loss at Indiana. They also beat Chicago for the second time in a week, having claimed an 86-78 victory in the Windy City last Saturday.
Epiphanny Prince had 19 points and six assists to lead the Sky, who shot 46 percent -- a better mark than Phoenix's 41 percent.
However, the Mercury made 42-of-45 free throws, compared to only 18-of-21 for the Sky.
Chicago held a 29-16 lead after one quarter, but Phoenix surged in the second thanks to a 12-of-17 shooting performance from the floor and eight foul shots.
The Mercury faced a 49-48 deficit at the break and took control in the third, when they limited the Sky to 15 points and made 11-of-11 free throws. Phoenix carried a 73-64 advantage into the fourth and didn't give up the lead.
The teams combined for 44 turnovers.
- CHICAGO: 84
Jul 2 12:15 AM
- CHICAGO: 49
Jul 1 10:59 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 1 10:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA set to unveil new marketing campaign "Watch Me Work" Jan 28
- Glory Johnson gives birth to twins Oct 18