Liberty use big fourth quarter to down SkyAug 31, 2011 - 1:44 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter dropped 19 points in 34 minutes of action, including 10 in the final quarter to lead the New York Liberty to a 71-67 comeback win over the Chicago Sky at the Prudential Center.
Essence Carson scored 12 of her 14 points in the fourth quarter for the Liberty, who rallied from a 14-point deficit in the final period. They used a 22-2 burst in the decisive quarter.
Plenette Pierson added 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds, while Kia Vaughn tallied 15 points and five boards for the Liberty, winners of four of their last six.
Sylvia Fowles scored a game-high 22 points and pulled down eight rebounds, while Epiphanny Prince added 15 points off the bench for the Sky, who had their two-game winning streak snapped.
The Liberty entered the fourth quarter trailing by 11, but outscored Chicago by 15 to roar back and claim the victory. Turnovers also played a major role in the game as Chicago turned the ball over 22 times in the game, including six in the final quarter, while New York committed only 12 turnovers. The 22 miscues led to 25 New York points.
Pondexter's two free throws capped a 10-0 burst, getting the Liberty within 60-56 with 5:13 left. Two more free throws from Pondexter finally pushed New York ahead, 64-62 with 2:27 remaining, and Carson's step-back jumper culminated the 22-2 burst with 66 seconds to go. The bucket moved the Liberty to a 68-62 cushion.
- CHICAGO: 67
NEW YORK: 71
Aug 30 9:14 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 30 7:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8