Johnson leads SaberCats past BrigadeMar 30, 2008 - 2:51 AM KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Ticker) -- Brian Johnson ran for three touchdowns and Rodney Wright ran for another score as the San Jose SaberCats posted a 44-36 victory over the Kansas City Brigade on Saturday.
Mark Grieb also threw a touchdown to Jason Geathers for the SaberCats (3-2), who rushed for just 42 yards.
But Johnson punctuated three drives with short plunges, notching TDs from 1 and 2 yards out in the first quarter. He added another 1-yard score to give San Jose a 21-14 lead with 8:55 left in the second.
Grieb helped the SaberCats move the ball through the air, completing 23-of-38 passes for 247 yards. He threw two interceptions, but his connection with Geathers gave San Jose the lead for good at 31-28 with 9:39 left in the third.
Quarterback John Fitzgerald threw three TD passes and ran for two more scores for the Brigade (0-4).
SAN JOSE 44
KANSAS CITY 36 FINAL
SaberCats 44, Command 36 FinalMar 29 9:22 PM
SAN JOSE 38
KANSAS CITY 28 END, 3RD QTR
SaberCats 38, Command 28 End of 3rdMar 29 8:23 PM
SAN JOSE 24
KANSAS CITY 21 HALFTIME
SaberCats 24, Command 21 HalfMar 29 7:54 PM
SAN JOSE 14
KANSAS CITY 7 0:00 LEFT, 1ST QTR
SaberCats 14, Command 7 End of 1stMar 29 7:13 PM
- Soul down SaberCats, claim first Arena title Jul 28
- Grieb helps SaberCats return to Arena Bowl Jul 12
- Grieb propels SaberCats past Crush Jul 5
- Grieb, Saintil help Sabercats down Force Jun 22
- Dutton's throws three scores as Crush roll Jun 22
- Grieb sends SaberCats past Storm Jun 15
- Avengers sink Brigade with late touchdown Jun 15
- Burley, defense lead Rattlers past Brigade Jun 8
- Grieb sends SaberCats past Avengers Jun 1
- Michna rallies Rush past Brigade Jun 1
- Grieb's eight TDs help SaberCats down Crush May 25
- Bryant's late TD toss helps Brigade top Soul May 23