Bryant's late TD toss helps Brigade top SoulMay 23, 2008 - 5:25 AM PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) -- D. Bryant threw four touchdown passes, including one to Jerel Myers with 1:21 remaining in the fourth quarter as the Kansas City Brigade held on for a 54-47 victory over the Philadelphia Soul on Thursday.
Kansas City (3-9) grabbed a 14-0 lead less than five minutes into the game but found itself trailing on three different occasions in the second half. With Philadelphia clinging to a 47-46 advantage down the stretch, Bryant connected with Myers for an 8-yard TD pass and teamed with Jamarr Ward for the two-point conversion, giving the Brigade a 54-47 bulge.
The Soul (10-3) threatened in the waning moments, however, getting the ball to the Brigade 1 with 6.2 seconds remaining. But fullback Clifton Smith fumbled a direct snap on the final play, giving Kansas City its second win in three games.
Bryant went 19-of-32 for 198 yards and Charles Frederick caught six passes for 94 yards and two scores for the Brigade.
Matt D'Orazio was 24-of-34 for 268 yards with six TD passes, including three to Chris Jackson, who made 11 receptions for 130 yards.
KANSAS CITY 54
PHILADELPHIA 47 FINAL
Command 54, Soul 47 FinalMay 22 9:58 PM
KANSAS CITY 33
PHILADELPHIA 27 END, 3RD QTR
Command 33, Soul 27 End of 3rdMay 22 9:16 PM
KANSAS CITY 33
PHILADELPHIA 20 HALFTIME
Command 33, Soul 20 HalfMay 22 8:43 PM
KANSAS CITY 20
PHILADELPHIA 14 END, 1ST QTR
Command 20, Soul 14 End of 1stMay 22 8:06 PM
- Soul down SaberCats, claim first Arena title Jul 28
- Eight TDs by D'Orazio lead Soul to first ArenaBowl Jul 12
- Soul QB D'Orazio named Arena MVP Jul 9
- Late-game heroics send Soul to conference finals Jul 5
- Jackson, defense help Soul pound Dragons Jun 22
- Dutton's throws three scores as Crush roll Jun 22
- Soul pick off Gladiators Jun 15
- Avengers sink Brigade with late touchdown Jun 15
- Burley, defense lead Rattlers past Brigade Jun 8
- D'Orazio, Jackson lift Soul past Desperados Jun 8
- Michna rallies Rush past Brigade Jun 1