Germaine sparks Blaze to win over AvengersJun 10, 2008 - 6:09 AM SALT LAKE CITY (Ticker) -- Joe Germaine threw two of his six touchdown passes in the fourth quarter Monday as the Utah Blaze posted a 65-56 triumph over the Los Angeles Avengers.
With Utah trailing, 50-45, Germaine connected with Huey Whittaker for a five-yard TD with 6:46 remaining in the fourth, putting the Blaze ahead for good. It was the third time in the game the duo hooked up for a score.
Germaine hit J.J. McKelvey for a 28-yard touchdown just over four minutes later for a 58-50 bulge. Kelvin Morris then returned a fumble 14 yards for a TD with 24 seconds left to seal the win.
Germaine completed 16-of-30 passes for 240 yards with one interception and Rodney Filer scored twice on the ground for Utah (5-10).
Sonny Cumbie went 23-of-42 for 282 yards and four touchdowns for the Avengers (4-10). LaShaun Ward and Kevin Ingram each caught two TD passes, while Michael Cobbins ran for a pair of scores.
LOS ANGELES 56
UTAH 65 FINAL
KISS 56, Blaze 65 FinalJun 10 12:49 AM
LOS ANGELES 44
UTAH 45 END, 3RD QTR
KISS 44, Blaze 45 End of 3rdJun 10 12:02 AM
LOS ANGELES 30
UTAH 28 HALFTIME
KISS 30, Blaze 28 HalfJun 9 11:16 PM
LOS ANGELES 14
UTAH 14 END, 1ST QTR
KISS 14, Blaze 14 End of 1stJun 9 10:38 PM
- senorpepr Pretty much. The sad thing is... at this time... Los Angeles is in line for a #4 seed in the playoffs with Utah looking at a #5 seed. Colorado (also 4-10) faces a #6 seed since Utah has the head-to-head tiebreaker. Grand Rapids (also 4-10) is standing outside the playoff bracket at #7 as the lose the head-to-head tiebreaker to both Utah and Colorado. Kansas City is in last with 3-11. However, as bad as the American Conference is, Grand Rapids and Kansas City both remain in the playoff hunt over the next few weeks...
KISS vs. BlazeJun 9 12:26 PM
- Blaze name AFL veteran new coach Jan 26
- Dutton leads Crush over Blaze Jun 28
- Blaze conclude season on high note, stomp Rattlers Jun 22
- Dietz guides Storm to win over Avengers Jun 22
- Avengers sink Brigade with late touchdown Jun 15
- Germaine ignites Blaze past Rampage Jun 1
- Grieb sends SaberCats past Avengers Jun 1
- Videtich's last-second kick helps Blaze edge Rush May 25
- Rush clinch division with rout of Avengers May 20
- Grieb powers SaberCats past Blaze May 18
- Dragons squander lead, rally past Avengers May 11