Royals rally again, beat Angels on Treanor's homer in 13thApr 4, 2011 - 2:33 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Matt Treanor hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the 13th inning to give the Kansas City Royals a 12-9 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the finale of a four-game set.
In the 13th, Chris Getz reached base on an error by pitcher Jason Bulger (0-1) and Wilson Betemit was later intentionally walked. Alcides Escobar then hit into a fielder's choice for the second out of the inning, but Treanor ripped a pitch into the left field stands for the win.
"I hit it pretty good," said Treanor on the home run. "When I was halfway to first I usually don't peek, but I did take a look at Vernon (Wells). Vernon's back was to the infield, so I had a pretty good idea it was going to leave."
Betemit's two-run double in the ninth tied the game, Melky Cabrera and Billy Butler both hit solo home runs and Alex Gordon went 4-for-6 with an RBI and four runs scored for the Royals, who took the final three games of the set after dropping the opener.
Bruce Chen lasted five innings in the start and gave up five runs on eight hits with two walks and three strikeouts. Tim Collins (1-0) got the win, working three innings and giving up just two hits with five strikeouts.
Howie Kendrick hit two solo home runs and score three times, Bobby Abreu went 5-for-5 with a two-run home run and Maicer Izturis and Alberto Callaspo added solo shots for the Angels, who won seven of the 10 games against the Royals last season.
"It's good when you do your job to be on base, but you want to win the game," said Abreu. "No matter what. That's my concern. Winning the games is more important to me."
Scott Kazmir didn't last long in the start as he was pulled with two outs in the second after giving up five runs on five hits with two walks.
The Royals jumped on top in the first off RBI singles from Gordon and Jeff Francoeur for a 2-0 lead.
With two outs in the second, Cabrera smacked a 2-2 pitch over the wall in center. After the next two batters reached base, Kila Ka'aihue drove them both home with a double for a 5-0 lead.
Back-to-back home runs by Izturis and Kendrick to start the third cut the Angels' deficit to 5-2.
LA made it a one-run game in the fourth on an RBI double from Mark Trumbo and a groundout by Peter Bourjos that plated Trumbo to make it a 5-4 contest.
Butler's solo home run in the bottom the inning was countered by another solo homer by Kendrick in the fifth to keep it a one-run game.
The Angels went ahead in the seventh on Abreu's two-run homer to center, but Kansas City tied it in the bottom of the frame on Francoeur's RBI double that scored Gordon.
In the eighth, Bourjos singled with one out and Izturis followed with a double to the gap in right-center to score Bourjos and give KC an 8-7 lead.
The Angels gave themselves some insurance in the ninth on Callaspo's solo homer for a 9-7 advantage.
Fernando Rodney came on in the ninth to close out the game, but he walked the bases loaded and Betemit tied the game with a two-run double. Kevin Jespen then took the mound and walked Escobar to again load the bases, but Treanor hit into a fielder's choice and Mike Aviles hit into a force out at third to end the frame.
The Angels have Monday off before a two-game set in Tampa starting on Tuesday...Kansas City also has Monday off before welcoming the White Sox for a two-game series that begins on Tuesday...There were 33 hits in the game, 19 by the Angels.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
KANSAS CITY: 12
Apr 3 6:58 PM
- Matt Treanor two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Wilson Betemit and Alcides Escobar to end the game.
Angels 9, Royals 12 Bot 13, 2 OutsApr 3 6:57 PM
- Wilson Betemit doubled to left scoring Alex Gordon and Chris Getz. Runners on second and third with one out and Alcides Escobar due up.
Angels 9, Royals 9 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 3 5:30 PM
- Alberto Callaspo one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 9, Royals 7 Top 9, 1 OutApr 3 5:13 PM
- Maicer Izturis doubled to right center scoring Peter Bourjos. Runner on second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 8, Royals 7 Top 8, 1 OutApr 3 4:50 PM
- Wilson Betemit struck out swinging to end the inning.
Angels 7, Royals 7 End 7Apr 3 4:38 PM
- Bobby Abreu one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Howie Kendrick. Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 7, Royals 6 Top 7, 1 OutApr 3 4:17 PM
- Torii Hunter flied out to left. Runner on first with one out and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 5, Royals 6 Top 5, 1 OutApr 3 3:49 PM
- Billy Butler two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Angels 4, Royals 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 3 3:38 PM
- Peter Bourjos grounded out short to first scored Mark Trumbo. None on with two outs and Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 4, Royals 5 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 3 3:30 PM
- Mark Trumbo doubled to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Runner on second with none out and Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 3, Royals 5 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 3 3:29 PM
- Howie Kendrick hits a solo Home Run (2) to right. Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 2, Royals 5 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 3 3:09 PM
- Maicer Izturis lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 1, Royals 5 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 3 3:08 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue doubled to left scoring Alex Gordon and Billy Butler. Runner on second with two outs and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Angels 0, Royals 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 3 3:03 PM
- Melky Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Alex Gordon due up.
Angels 0, Royals 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 3 2:57 PM
- Jeff Francoeur singled to right scored Alex Gordon. Runners on first and third with two outs and Wilson Betemit due up.
Angels 0, Royals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 3 2:31 PM
- Alex Gordon singled to right, scored Mike Aviles. Runner on first with one out and Billy Butler due up.
Angels 0, Royals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 3 2:23 PM
- Maicer Izturis grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Apr 3 2:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22