Rhode Island beats Brown 78-57Nov 19, 2009 - 4:20 AM PROVIDENCE, R.I.(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored 16 points, leading four Rhode Island players in double-figure scoring as the Rams ran past Brown to win their season opener 78-57 on Wednesday night.
Jamal Wilson scored 14 points for the Rams, who also got 12 from Delroy James and 10 from Orion Outerbridge. Will Martell led the Rams with 10 boards.
The Rams led by just a point at the half, but outscored the Bears (1-2) 47-27 in the second half. Rhode Island turned the ball over just nine times, capitalizing on 21 giveaways by the Bears.
Despite being outshot from 3-point range and at the foul line, Rhode Island won the game going 34-for-72 from the floor overall (47.2 percent). The Bears shot just 19-for-54 (35.2 percent).
Peter Sullivan led Brown with 15 points. Matt Mullery scored 10 and grabbed 11 boards.
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12
- Cal freshmen stars Brown, Rabb focused on school first Oct 29
- Top recruit Jaylen Brown picks Cal May 1
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6