Texas-San Antonio 72, Texas-Pan American 48Dec 19, 2009 - 3:20 AM EDINBURG, Texas (AP) -- Demarco Stepter scored 17 points and UTSA used a 23-2 start to cruise past Texas-Pan American 72-48 on Friday night.
UTSA notched its first 8-2 start since 1989.
The Roadrunners, who got 12 points and four assists from Devin Gibson, led by 21 with 11:59 left in the first half and 37-18 at intermission.
Stepter, who made eight of his 10 shots, opened the second half with a jumper to push it to 39-18, and Texas-Pan American never got within 20 after that. Melvin Johnson III's 3-pointer with 2:43 left gave the Roadrunners their largest lead at 71-38.
Aaron Urbanus and ChaRunn Jones led the Broncs (1-11) with eight points apiece. Matt Mierzycki pulled down a game-high nine rebounds.
UTSA outshot Texas-Pan American 46.6 percent to 36.5 and forced 14 turnovers while committing only five.
The Roadrunners are 6-0 when holding opponents to fewer than 60 points.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Hipsher to take over at UT-Pan American Apr 4
- Texas-Pan American suspends five players Jan 21
- Ohio State dominates Texas-Pan American Dec 3
- Broncs face tall task in bout with Buckeyes Dec 3
- Ohio State cruises in NCAA tourney opener Mar 18
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Texas-San Antonio captures Southland title Mar 12