Liberty defeats VMI 110-102Jan 2, 2010 - 8:58 PM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Evan Gordon scored 24 points and Liberty rallied to defeat Virginia Military Institute 110-102 on Saturday.
The Flames (7-8, 2-1 Big South Conference) trailed 53-44 at halftime and opened the second half with 11 straight points. Antwan Burrus put the Flames ahead 55-53 on a layup with 17:57 to go.
The Keydets (4-7, 1-2) tied the game at 68-68 with 14:13 to play. Liberty then went on a 15-2 run capped by Kyle Ohman's layup with 9:42 remaining.
Chris Perez scored 21 points and Burrus added 14 for the Flames, who shot 64.7 percent in the second half (22 of 34). Ohman scored 16 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, and Jesse Sanders had 13 points and 11 boards for Liberty.
VMI led 17-12 with 13:06 left in the first half, before going on 16-3 run to lead 33-15 with 10:33 remaining until halftime.
Keith Gabriel scored 27 and Austin Kenon 21 for the Keydets.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Kemrite's 3-pointers help Liberty top Summit 90-49 Nov 14
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19
- Liberty wins Big South, going dancing with 20 losses Mar 10
- Buccaneers and Flames battle for Big South crown Mar 10
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3