South Dakota turns back Longwood 75-63 behind CainJan 13, 2010 - 3:10 AM VERMILLION, S.D.(AP) -- Tyler Cain's double-double led South Dakota to a 75-63 victory over Longwood in a nonconference game Tuesday night.
The senior forward had 20 points and a game-high 14 rebounds for the Coyotes (8-8), who won their second straight. Roman Gentry led the offense with 21 points, and Kendall Cutler had 12.
Dana Smith scored 19 points to lead the Lancers (4-14). Antwan Carter had a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
South Dakota outshot Longwood 50.0 percent (27 of 54) to 37.5 percent (24 of 64).
Aaron Mitchell gave the Lancers their final lead at 29-28 with 1:01 left in the first half before back-to-back baskets by Cain and Cutler put South Dakota on top 32-29.
Longwood trimmed the deficit to 59-57 with 8:45 left, but South Dakota reeled off the next five points and was never in trouble again.
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31
- South Dakota comes calling on Kansas State Dec 31
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10
- Georgetown plays host to Longwood Dec 10
- No. 14 Creighton soars past Longwood Nov 21
- Longwood faces long odds in clash with No. 14 Creighton Nov 20
- No. 19 Gonzaga thumps South Dakota Nov 18