N.C.-Asheville 97, VMI 84Jan 15, 2010 - 3:03 AM LEXINGTON, Va. (AP) -- Sean Smith scored 20 points to lead six North Carolina-Asheville players in double figures as the Bulldogs knocked off Virginia Military 97-84 on Thursday night.
J.P. Primm added 17 points and UNC-Asheville (4-12, 2-4 Big South Conference) held off VMI (5-10, 1-5) down the stretch to snap a six-game losing streak.
VMI, which entered leading Division I in scoring at 90.8 points a game, cut UNC-Asheville's lead to 85-80 on Ron Burks' layup with 3:42 left. The Bulldogs, however, scored the next eight points, getting 3-pointers from Smith and Matt Dickey to lead 93-80 with 2:03 remaining.
The Keydets were 5-for-35 from the 3-point line.
John Williams scored 16, Chris Stephenson had 15 points and nine rebounds, Dickey scored 12 and Jaron Lane added 10 for UNC-Asheville.
Stan Okoye had 21 points and 10 rebounds, Keith Gabriel scored 19 and Austin Kenon added 11 for VMI.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Parker and Duke beat up UNC-Asheville Nov 18
- Duke entertains UNC Asheville in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 18
- No. 1 Kentucky beats UNC-Asheville by 32 Nov 8
- No. 1 Kentucky opens season against UNC Asheville Nov 8
- UNC Asheville tabs McDevitt as men's basketball coach Apr 26
- Biedenbach resigns as UNC Asheville head coach Apr 3
- Thompson and Thomas help Buckeyes down Bulldogs Dec 15