Liberty defeats VMI 91-73Jan 29, 2010 - 2:34 AM LYNCHBURG, Va.(AP) -- Antwan Burrus tallied a double-double, setting career-highs with 20 points and 13 boards, to lead Liberty in a 91-73 win over Virginia Military Institute on Thursday night.
Evan Gordon added 18 points and Patrick Konan had 17 for the Flames (11-11, 6-4 Big South Conference), who shot 56.3 percent from the floor (36-for-64). The Keydets posted a 37.3 mark (25-for-67).
Jesse Sanders also tallied a double-double for the Flames, scoring 10 points and grabbing a career-best 15 boards.
Nick Gore's 3 put VMI up 20-17 with 11:36 to play before halftime. But five different players scored for Liberty, sparking a 12-4 run and the Flames never trailed again.
The Flames led by five at halftime and outscored the Keydets 49-36 in the second.
Keith Gabriel scored 24 points for the Keydets (7-13, 2-8), who had their longest winning streak of the season snapped at two games.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Kemrite's 3-pointers help Liberty top Summit 90-49 Nov 14
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19
- Liberty wins Big South, going dancing with 20 losses Mar 10
- Buccaneers and Flames battle for Big South crown Mar 10
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3