Sam Houston State wins 7th straight, 73-67Feb 4, 2010 - 3:32 AM HUNTSVILLE, Texas(AP) -- Gilberto Clavell scored 27 points and Ashton Mitchell added 22 as Sam Houston State defeated UTSA 73-67 Wednesday night for its seventh straight victory.
Corey Allmond had 14 points for the Bearkats (15-5, 7-0 Southland), who are undefeated after seven conference games for the first time in the school's 23 years in the Southland.
Terry Fields recorded a double-double for the Roadrunners (12-8, 2-5), finishing with 11 points and 10 rebounds, while Melvin Johnson III scored 14 points, and Omar Johnson contributed 12. UTSA has lost five in a row after winning its previous four.
Sam Houston State led 35-22 with 18:15 to play, but UTSA twice rallied to within one, the second time at 58-57 with 3:56 remaining. Mitchell then hit a 3-pointer, Clavell scored inside and the Bearkats ended the game with a 15-10 run.
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 73 FINAL
Feb 3 9:56 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 31 HALFTIME
Feb 3 8:51 PM
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Top-ranked Indiana blasts Sam Houston State Nov 15
- Bearkats come north seeking upset of top-ranked Hoosiers Nov 15