UNC snaps slide by beating Wake, 77-68Feb 27, 2010 - 9:26 PM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Freshman Leslie McDonald scored a season-high 16 points and North Carolina snapped a three-game losing streak by beating Wake Forest 77-68 on Saturday.
Will Graves had 13 points and Larry Drew II added 10 points for the Tar Heels (15-14, 4-10 Atlantic Coast Conference).
The defending national champions, who entered having lost 10 of 12, avoided falling below .500 by locking down on Al-Farouq Aminu and winning their first road game this season outside of the Triangle.
Ari Stewart had 16 points to lead the Demon Deacons (18-8, 8-6). L.D. Williams finished with 14 before fouling out in the final minute, and his 3 pulled Wake Forest to 71-68 with 57.3 seconds left.
McDonald followed that with a layup 7 seconds later, then drew a key charge on C.J. Harris with 42 seconds to play. North Carolina was 4 of 6 from the free throw line after that.
- NCAA BB
NORTH CAROLINA 77
WAKE FOREST 68 FINAL
Feb 27 4:17 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH CAROLINA 32
WAKE FOREST 28 HALFTIME
Feb 27 2:51 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2