Charlotte holds off Hofstra 80-72Nov 25, 2009 - 5:30 AM HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.(AP) -- Shamari Spears scored 26 points to lead Charlotte to an 80-72 victory over Hofstra on Tuesday night.
Spears finished the first half with 17 points on 7-of-8 shooting. Overall, he was 9-for-13 from the field and 7-for-8 from the free-throw line.
After Charlotte extended the lead to 68-58 with 5:40 to play, Hofstra rallied to 71-68.
Chris Braswell's offensive rebound and pass to a cutting RaShad Coleman made it a five-point game. DiJuan Harris hit 3-of-4 free throws to give the 49ers (4-1) a six-point lead with less than 1 minute to play in the NIT Season Tip-Off.
Braswell had 15 points and 11 rebounds and Derrio Green added 12 points for Charlotte. RaShad Coleman added nine points, nine rebounds and five assists.
Hofstra (3-3) was led by Charles Jenkins, who scored 25 points. Greg Washington added a career-high 18 points, to go with nine rebounds.
- Hofstra, Mihalich agree to extension Apr 29
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Hofstra's Nichols to miss rest of season Jan 26
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Hofstra's rise close to being complete Oct 22
- Hofstra coach Mihalich agrees to extension Jun 1
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25
- SMU-Hofstra game postponed Dec 6