Jackson State defeats Alcorn State 63-51Jan 28, 2010 - 4:29 AM LORMAN, Miss.(AP) -- De'Suan Dixon and Garrison Jackson scored 15 points each as Jackson State defeated Alcorn State 63-51 on Wednesday night.
Cason Burk added 13 points and 17 rebounds and Gertavin Blake had 10 points and 14 rebounds for Jackson State (8-11, 6-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference), which won for the second time in three games.
The Tigers opened the second half on a 9-3 run to turn a six-point lead into a 40-28 advantage with 16 minutes remaining. Jackson State pushed its lead to 52-38 on Dixon's 3-pointer with 8:18 left.
Jackson State, which outrebounded Alcorn State 57-32, then scored eight of the next 10 points for a 60-40 advantage with 5:38 remaining.
Rod Melvin had 10 assists for Jackson State.
Jonathan Boyd scored 15 points, Keith Searcy added 11 and JaMarkus Holt had 10 points for Alcorn State (0-21, 0-8), which shot 30.6 percent from the field (15-for-49).
- Taylor leads Texas rout of Alcorn State Nov 17
- Braves face tall task in clash with 10th-ranked Longhorns Nov 16
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- Brent takes over as new Jackson State coach Mar 25
- Fair helps No. 9 Syracuse top Alcorn State Dec 29
- Orange battle Braves in Gotham Classic action Dec 29
- Pressey, Missouri rout Alcorn State Nov 14
- No. 14 Tigers set to pounce on Braves Nov 13
- Baylor eases past Jackson State Nov 11
- Jackson State battles No. 19 Baylor Nov 11
- Texas A&M handles Alcorn State Dec 1