Michigan State edges Texas on late 3-pointerDec 20, 2008 - 10:44 PM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- After a lackluster performance in its previous game, Michigan State continued its recent mastery of Texas.
Durrell Summers drilled a 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining Saturday as the 22nd-ranked Spartans upset No. 5 Texas, 67-63, at the Toyota Center.
On Wednesday, Michigan State (6-2) had trouble putting away The Citadel, 79-65, angering coach Tom Izzo, but the Spartans showed plenty of intensity Saturday in a physical battle that was close throughout.
The Longhorns (8-2) left Summers wide open in the right corner and they paid for it as the basket by the sophomore guard put Michigan State ahead, 65-63. It was the game's 16th lead change.
Texas set up for the tie, but Justin Mason missed a jumper from the corner. Summers added a pair from the line with one-tenth of a second remaining to secure Michigan State's third straight win over Texas.
The Spartans spoiled the homecoming of Houston native Gary Johnson, who scored 20 points for the Longhorns, including a driving layup that gave Texas its last lead at 63-62 with 1:29 remaining.
Goran Suton scored 18 points for the Spartans in only his third game since missing two weeks following knee surgery.
A.J. Abrams and Johnson each hit two free throws, staking the Longhorns to a 61-56 lead with 5:36 remaining. However, the Spartans allowed only one basket in the final seven minutes.
Michigan State answered with a 6-0 spurt, taking a 62-61 lead on a foul-line jumper by Kalin Lucas with 3:02 to play.
Summers finished with 14 points and Lucas chipped in with 11 for the Spartans, who shot just under 51 percent (28-of-55) from the field while holding Texas to 39 percent (22-of-57).
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MICHIGAN ST (22) 32 35 67
TEXAS (5) 34 29 63 FINAL
Dec 20 4:16 PM
- NCAA BB
(22) MICHIGAN ST 32
(5) TEXAS 34 HALFTIME
Dec 20 2:59 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15