Thomas helps Duke women's hoops stay perfectDec 22, 2010 - 2:45 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Jasmine Thomas' foul shot with two seconds remaining in regulation lifted No. 3 Duke to a 46-45 victory over fourth- ranked Xavier in a battle of previously undefeated teams at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Thomas led Duke (12-0) with 16 points, while Krystal Thomas posted 10 points and eight rebounds in the victory. Duke will close the 2010 calendar year with a home contest against Temple on December 30.
Amber Harris posted 22 points and 15 rebounds for Xavier (10-1), which will travel to California to face Stanford on December 28. Ta'Shia Phillips scored eight points and totaled 19 rebounds in the losing effort.
Xavier held a three-point lead, 28-25, at the start of the second half. Before four minutes had elapsed, the margin was extended to seven after Harris' jumper from the paint. Soon after, a layup by Special Jennings increased the visitors lead to 36-27.
With 11:35 to play, a bucket by Harris saw Xavier ahead by five, 39-34, but Duke knotted the contest with a quick 6-1 spurt, which was capped by a Krystal Thomas layup with just over nine minutes remaining.
After Harris answered to put Xavier back on top by a 42-40 margin moments later, both teams went cold from the floor over the next five-plus minutes. Harris again connected on a jumper in the paint with 2:42 to go on the clock for a 45-40 advantage, but Duke scored the final six points of the game.
Jasmine Thomas' layup was preceded by another inside bucket by Karima Christmas, which brought Duke within one, 45-44, with over a minute to play. A foul shot by both Jasmine Thomas and another make from the charity stripe by Krystal Thomas in the final minute created the final margin.
Xavier had one final chance with 1.5 seconds remaining, but failed to get off a shot after Jasmine Thomas thwarted a layup attempt at the buzzer.
Duke was out-rebounded by a 51-37 margin, while Xavier was also much better from the floor. Xavier ended 19-of-50 overall from the field compared to Duke's 26.8 percent clip (19-of-71).
- XAVIER: 45
Dec 21 9:02 PM
- XAVIER: 28
Dec 21 7:50 PM
- XAVIER: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 7:07 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 23 DePaul women beat Xavier 82-52 Feb 12
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15