Phillips helps Xavier claim A-10 titleMar 8, 2011 - 12:56 AM Lowell, MA (Sports Network) - Ta'Shia Phillips led the way with 26 points and 15 rebounds, as top-seeded and fifth-ranked Xavier claimed the Atlantic-10 title with a 67-60 win over No. 6 seeded Dayton and earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Special Jennings went for 17 points, eight rebounds and five assists, while Amber Harris turned in a double-double with 12 points and 11 boards for Xavier (28-2), which earned its fourth conference championship in the last five seasons.
Justine Raterman had a team-leading 19 points to go with six rebounds for Dayton (21-11), which also got 12 points from Kristin Daugherty.
Dayton led 35-30 at the intermission, then were in front 41-34 nearly 3 1/2 minutes into the second half before Xavier made its move.
Jennings capped a 9-0 run with a pair of free throws to put her squad in front by two with 12:42 left and things stayed close the rest of the way.
Raterman's layup with two minutes remaining tied the contest at 60-all, but Phillips hit a jumper with 90 seconds left to put Xavier up for good and the Musketeers pulled away down the stretch.
- DAYTON: 60
Mar 7 6:49 PM
- DAYTON: 35
Mar 7 5:43 PM
- DAYTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 7 5:06 PM
- No. 23 DePaul women beat Xavier 82-52 Feb 12
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66 Nov 29
- Smith leads No. 13 Stanford women past Dayton 74-66 Nov 28
- UConn shakes Dayton, advances to another Final Four Mar 31
- Dayton upsets Louisville to advance to Elite Eight Mar 28
- Malott, Dayton knock off Kentucky Mar 22
- Dayton handles Iowa State Mar 20
- Flyers foiled by Florida in first round Mar 23
- Dayton's Austria has successful knee surgery Feb 17
- Dayton's Jabir rewarded with extension Apr 17
- Mathies bounces back as Kentucky thumps Dayton Mar 26
- Dayton prevails in double overtime to down St. John's Mar 24