Montgomery, Jones help Sun rout ShockAug 18, 2010 - 2:23 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP) -- Renee Montgomery scored 22 points and Asjha Jones added 18 to help the Connecticut Sun rout the Tulsa Shock 90-62 on Tuesday night.
Tan White and Sandrine Gruda scored 13 points apiece for the Sun (16-16) and Tina Charles earned her league-record 21st double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
"I'm very happy," Connecticut coach Mike Thibault said. "We competed really hard against a team that's difficult to play against because of their style."
Connecticut was eliminated from playoff contention last Sunday, but can still finish with a winning record.
"These games shouldn't be throw-aways," Thibault said. "There's still time to build some chemistry for next season."
Scholanda Robinson led Tulsa (5-27) with 18 points.
The Shock lost their fifth straight and for the 10th time in the last 11 games.
Shanna Crossley and Marion Jones scored 10 points apiece for Tulsa.
Connecticut led by as many as 16 in the first half befor the Shock cut the lead to 38-32 late in the second period.
Tulsa trailed by seven at halftime and got no closer.
"I thought we played well in the first half to stay within striking distance," Tulsa coach Nolan Richardson said. "Our pressure defense seemed to bother them. But they're a good team and they shoot the ball well."
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- LA Sparks guard Riquna Williams to miss season with injury Mar 30
- Sparks acquire Riquna Williams from Wings for Phillips Mar 1
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3